E-1 Visa - Treaty Trader


A citizen of a foreign country, who wishes to enter the United States, generally must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. The type of visa you must have is defined by immigration law, and relates to the purpose of your travel.

The following information describes the Treaty Trader E-1 non-immigrant visa. Please note that this visa is not a substitute for an immigrant visa. Persons wishing to remain indefinitely in the U.S. should apply for the appropriate immigrant visa.


A national of a country with which the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation who wishes to come to the United States: to carry on substantial trade, including trade in services or technology, principally between the United States and the treaty country, may qualify for a nonimmigrant Treaty Trader visa.


The applicant must be a national of a treaty country;

The trading firm for which the applicant is coming to the U.S. must have the nationality of the Treaty Country;

The international trade must be "substantial" in the sense that there is a sizable and continuing volume of trade;

The trade must be principally between the U.S. and the treaty country, which is defined to mean that more than 50 percent of the international trade involved must be between the U.S. and the country of the applicant's nationality;

The applicant must be employed in a supervisory or executive capacity, or possess highly specialized skills essential to the efficient operation of the firm. Ordinary skilled or unskilled workers do not qualify.

The applicant intends to depart the United States when the E-1 status terminates.

University Place, WA 253-653-9000
Disclaimer: The information provided on this website is not legal advice. It is a general overview with regard to the subject matter covered and should not be relied upon for any specific situation. Transmission of this information is not intended to create, and receipt by you does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. For case specific legal advice, please contact our firm.
Copyright © NORBACHE-GOFF, PLLC. All right reserved